Skip to main content

Kochi, Kerala : The Triad of Culture, History and Culinary Richness


Like any traveller who loves exploring India, Kerala, popularly cited as God’s Own Country, holds a special place when it comes to topping many a traveller’s checklists. But unlike many of my friends and family members who have made a visit to this state, I wasn’t a big fan of covering X cities of Kerala in Y days, at a stretch. From my experience exploring a lot of Indian states, I have to come to solidify the belief that each new city or town in India has a different vibe to it and slow travel is the only way one can do justice to it, at least in my theory.

So this fine March, I decided to head to the Queen of Arabian Sea, a.k.a Kochi.


Kochi, also known as Cochin, is a vibrant city in the state of Kerala, India. Known for its historical significance, cultural richness, and bustling commercial activities, Kochi is a popular destination for tourists and a significant economic hub.




How to Reach Kochi?


One can travel to Kochi by train, bus or flight, depending on where one is starting from. I booked myself a direct flight from Chandigarh to Kochi, which timed me around 3 hours.


Where to Stay in Kochi?


One can find a lot of hotels and hostels in Kochi, considering it is a peak tourist hub. I preferred to budget my stay in the city and stayed at Zostel, Kochi and Hosteller, Kochi, although considering the comfort and facilities, I would prefer the latter over the former for anyone planning to travel.


Which Places to Cover?


  • Fort Kochi

  • Fort Kochi Beach

  • Jew Town

  • Indo-Portuguese Museum

  • Dutch Palace

  • Vypin Lighthouse

  • Vembanad Lake.

  • Jewish Synagogue 

  • Kerala Museum

  • Idiom Bookshop


Where to Eat in Kochi?


Kochi is a food lover’s paradise, and I would suggest trying a mix of fancy cafes in Fort Kochi and the local cuisine the city has to offer.



I am listing below a couple of places I personally loved during my stay:


  • Pandhel Cafe and Deli

  • French Toast Cafe

  • Kashi Art Cafe

  • Lila Art Cafe

  • Jew Town

  • Canvas Pizzeria

  • Kochi Kapital Kafe 

  • Andhra Karam

  • Cafe Noir

  • Qissa Cafe

  • Trouivaille Cafe


How to Travel around Kochi?


You can either rent a scooter or a cab. I personally preferred Ola auto, considering it was widely prevalent and affordable. If you are staying in and around Fort Kochi, a lot of the places are at a walking distance. 


What is the Average Budget for the Trip?


Depending on your budget, you can find hotels and hostels costing anywhere between 1500 per night to anywhere around 20K for luxury resorts. An average meal can cost anywhere between Rs. 50 for a South Indian thali to Rs 300 for a cafe meal. Renting a scooter for a day can cost you around Rs. 400 (excluding the petrol cost).


Any Other Tips for Travellers?


Carry loose cash since not all local vendors accept online payments. Carry flip flops for your stay at the beach. Short list the cafes you want to visit since there are a tad bit too many in Kochi and you might get overwhelmed. Shop from local vendors, you can get very good deals for authentic stuff. Buy a lot of local snacks like banana chips etc. for your family and friends back home:) Kerala is also a great place to buy a lot of spices.



In case of any questions, or to catch some vlogs from Kochi, visit my Instagram Page @thecurry_affair :) 

Comments