Skip to main content

A Solo Reading Date Overlooking Chandigarh’s Winter | Ft. Curve Coffee Roasters

There are days when you want to just run away from work, however much you like whatever you do. Sometimes it’s the monotony, sometimes it’s the people, sometimes some toxic elements overpowering the good or sometimes, it’s just Friday :P

Today was one such day. So I booked a cab to a new cafe I had recently discovered on Instagram, called the Curve Coffee Roasters. I was initially excited by the word ‘Roasters’, to be honest, since home grown or fresh roasted coffee has no comparison and I sometimes think, in this ever growing cafe or coffee culture fad, are we missing out on the real taste of it? Okay, let’s not be pessimistic in our very first blog and park that thought for another random musing post:)


So I am here, and the moment you enter the cafe, a whiff of coffee beans hits you and some fifth sense of mine tells me I am at the right place. The staff cordially welcome me, the ambience is nice and warm, very homelike and still very artistic. I catch a seat overlooking the busy Sector 9 market, settle myself and more importantly, my work bag. The interiors make you feel warm instantly, something I appreciate in this cold North Indian winter.

I quickly grab the menu, but the limited food options were an instant bummer. I guess, one of the staff members quickly realised the disappointment on my face and thankfully mentioned some quick specialities. So, without a lot of deliberation and overthinking, we settled on a hot cup of masala chai and a potato and peas stuffed crossbun.

Yes, you heard or in fact, read me right: a chai over coffee :P Of all the ironies that could unfold that day, this was another one, but then, life [and food choices :P] do not always follow a plan. If you were awaiting a nice coffee review my friend, now is the time you pause reading the blog:) For the rest of my friends, I shall continue my random musings.


While the staff engrossed themselves in preparing my order, we had a door tinkering and even though my face was away from the door, I knew the cafe had another visitor. So while I unpacked my bag and successfully found my short stories book by Premchand, lying calm under a sea of floating work essentials if I may, we hear this visitor ordering a nice cup of cappuccino. A few seconds later, we hear the camera shutter click. Sounded exciting that very moment, felt like a wave of art just crossed the room. As someone who really loves to capture moments, someone appreciating the art always feels nice. The extrovert in me would have turned around to strike a conversation instantly, but the introvert in me usually overpowers and we continue minding our own business. 

It’s almost time for my tea and cross bun to arrive, we have opened our next new short story and each time I read Premchand, it transports me to my childhood, about which I shall gather the time and courage to write in another blog.

The cup of tea hugs me, the warm cross bun feels like a soothing treat, the short story makes me a bit emotional, and my friend at the cafe, gives me company:) With that, I shall wrap this musing, promising to order and review the coffee at this place on my next visit and allowing my extrovert being to be more proactive the next time we meet a stranger at a cafe.

Ciao folks! Take care, until next time:)

Comments